About VA WARN
Based on other state WARN programs, VA WARN is designed to provide a utility to utility response during an emergency. The mission is to support and promote statewide emergency preparedness, disaster response, and mutual assistance matters for public and private water and wastewater utilities for natural and man-made events.
The VA WARN Web site facilitates emergency response by providing its members with emergency planning, response and recovery information before, during and after an emergency. As the nationwide WARN system expands, it will become easier to provide mutual aid to other states as needed.
The VA WARN Web site provides emergency contact numbers of members and an emergency equipment database that matches utility resources to a member's needs during an emergency. A member can locate emergency equipment (pumps, generators, chlorinators, evacuators, etc.) and trained personnel (e.g. treatment plant operators) that they may need in an emergency.
The VA WARN program provides its member utilities with:
- A standard omnibus mutual assistance agreement and process for sharing emergency resources among members statewide.
- A data base of potentially available resources for response and recovery from a disaster.
- A mutual assistance program consistent with other statewide mutual aid programs.
- A forum for developing and maintaining emergency contacts and relationships.
- New ideas from lessons learned in disasters.
VA WARN benefits include the following:
- No cost to participate
- Increased planning and coordination
- Enhance access to specialized resources
- Provides access to resources during an emergency without pre-contractual limitations or retainer fees
- Expedites arrival of aid
- Utilities that signed the mutual aid agreement have a pre-established relationship under which they are able to share resources during an emergency at the discretion of each participating agency
- Is consistent with the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- Provides a list of emergency contacts and phone numbers
- Reduces administrative conflicts
- Avoid federal bureaucracy
- Increases hope that recovery comes quickly
There are two sides to this Web site. The public side is open to anyone to view. This side gives you basic information about VA WARN and how to join. The second side is only open to members.
Please take a moment to explore the Web site!